Cop assault case: Maharashtra Assembly revokes suspension of five MLAs
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: The Maharashtra Assembly on Wednesday revoked the suspension of five legislators, who had allegedly assaulted a police officer.
Vasai MLA Kshitij Thakur, MNS legislator Ram Kadam, Rajan Salvi (Shiv Sena), Pradeep Jaiswal (Independent), among others had been suspended on March 20 till the end of the year for assaulting the police officer on the first floor of the Vidhan Sabha. A First Information Report (FIR) was also registered against them victim, Assistant Police Inspector (API) Sachin Suryavanshi.
Suryawanshi had allegedly stopped the vehicle of Kshitij Thakur on the Bandra-Worli Sea Link when the MLA was on his way to attend the legislative Assembly session.
Thakur was fined because his vehicle had exceeded the speed limit. There was an altercation between the legislator and the policeman, during which the latter allegedly misbehaved with Thakur. Thakur then moved a breach of privilege notice against Suryavanshi and gave a detailed account of the policeman`s "misbehaviour."
Later members cutting across party lines demanded the policeman`s suspension. The police officer was sitting in the visitor`s gallery at that time. Some MLAs said that they saw Suryavanshi making "provocative" gestures with his hand while looking at Assembly members.
They then caught hold of Suryavanshi at the entrance to the visitors’ gallery on the first floor and allegedly thrashed him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price