Cop assault case: Maharashtra Assembly revokes suspension of five MLAs
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: The Maharashtra Assembly on Wednesday revoked the suspension of five legislators, who had allegedly assaulted a police officer.
Vasai MLA Kshitij Thakur, MNS legislator Ram Kadam, Rajan Salvi (Shiv Sena), Pradeep Jaiswal (Independent), among others had been suspended on March 20 till the end of the year for assaulting the police officer on the first floor of the Vidhan Sabha. A First Information Report (FIR) was also registered against them victim, Assistant Police Inspector (API) Sachin Suryavanshi.
Suryawanshi had allegedly stopped the vehicle of Kshitij Thakur on the Bandra-Worli Sea Link when the MLA was on his way to attend the legislative Assembly session.
Thakur was fined because his vehicle had exceeded the speed limit. There was an altercation between the legislator and the policeman, during which the latter allegedly misbehaved with Thakur. Thakur then moved a breach of privilege notice against Suryavanshi and gave a detailed account of the policeman`s "misbehaviour."
Later members cutting across party lines demanded the policeman`s suspension. The police officer was sitting in the visitor`s gallery at that time. Some MLAs said that they saw Suryavanshi making "provocative" gestures with his hand while looking at Assembly members.
They then caught hold of Suryavanshi at the entrance to the visitors’ gallery on the first floor and allegedly thrashed him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- US Republican voters not happy with Donald Trump as presidential nominee: Poll
- Renault Kwid 1.0-litre to be launched in India today
- Sushant Singh Rajput, Shraddha Kapoor to come together! No, we aren’t talking about a film
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 pre-registrations begins from today
- Kashmir unrest: J&K delegation meets PM Modi; seeks immediate ban on pellet gun