Cop assault case: Maharashtra Assembly revokes suspension of five MLAs
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: The Maharashtra Assembly on Wednesday revoked the suspension of five legislators, who had allegedly assaulted a police officer.
Vasai MLA Kshitij Thakur, MNS legislator Ram Kadam, Rajan Salvi (Shiv Sena), Pradeep Jaiswal (Independent), among others had been suspended on March 20 till the end of the year for assaulting the police officer on the first floor of the Vidhan Sabha. A First Information Report (FIR) was also registered against them victim, Assistant Police Inspector (API) Sachin Suryavanshi.
Suryawanshi had allegedly stopped the vehicle of Kshitij Thakur on the Bandra-Worli Sea Link when the MLA was on his way to attend the legislative Assembly session.
Thakur was fined because his vehicle had exceeded the speed limit. There was an altercation between the legislator and the policeman, during which the latter allegedly misbehaved with Thakur. Thakur then moved a breach of privilege notice against Suryavanshi and gave a detailed account of the policeman`s "misbehaviour."
Later members cutting across party lines demanded the policeman`s suspension. The police officer was sitting in the visitor`s gallery at that time. Some MLAs said that they saw Suryavanshi making "provocative" gestures with his hand while looking at Assembly members.
They then caught hold of Suryavanshi at the entrance to the visitors’ gallery on the first floor and allegedly thrashed him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- 1st T20I, India vs West Indies: After Virat Kohli's success in Tests, pressure on MS Dhoni to save limited overs' captaincy
- Mehbooba in Delhi, to meet PM Modi on Saturday
- More than 8 lakh people affected by flood in UP
- Virender Sehwag fulfills Sakshi Malik's desire to meet him; this tweet tells how GLAD he is
- Asked to remove pugree at US embassy, BJP MP refuses to take visa