Cop injured as landmine detonator explodes in Maha
Gadchiroli: A jawan was injured while trying to defuse a landmine allegedly planted by Naxals in the vicinity of a school at Kamlapur village in this east Maharashtra district, police said on Saturday.
Mahadeo Waghade of the Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad (BDDS) under Pranhita police division sustained minor injuries when the detonator attached to the landmine blew up in his hand yesterday. The spot where the landmine was planted was not far away from Bhagwantrao High School, they said.
According to police, the incident took place yesterday when the patrolling team was combing the area in view of the bandh call given by ultras to celebrate `Foundation Day` of their organisation.
When the police party spotted a red wire near a banner at the spot, they called up the BDDS which rushed to the spot and was detaching the detonator when it exploded injuring Waghade.
The anti-Naxal operation in the area has been intensified, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy