Cop injured as landmine detonator explodes in Maha
Gadchiroli: A jawan was injured while trying to defuse a landmine allegedly planted by Naxals in the vicinity of a school at Kamlapur village in this east Maharashtra district, police said on Saturday.
Mahadeo Waghade of the Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad (BDDS) under Pranhita police division sustained minor injuries when the detonator attached to the landmine blew up in his hand yesterday. The spot where the landmine was planted was not far away from Bhagwantrao High School, they said.
According to police, the incident took place yesterday when the patrolling team was combing the area in view of the bandh call given by ultras to celebrate `Foundation Day` of their organisation.
When the police party spotted a red wire near a banner at the spot, they called up the BDDS which rushed to the spot and was detaching the detonator when it exploded injuring Waghade.
The anti-Naxal operation in the area has been intensified, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead