Cops get cash awards for investigating 26/11 terror attacks
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government has sanctioned Rs 6.58 lakh as cash awards to 46 crime branch officials involved in the investigation of 26/11 terror attacks in Mumbai.
A government resolution (GR) of the Maharashtra state home department said the decision came in the wake of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan`s announcement of a cash prize in August last year.
The investigating team has been rewarded for speedy completion of the probe and producing strong evidence. A 11,750-page charge sheet was filed within 90 days. Prosecution lawyers presented 659 witnesses.
The 46-member investigating team was led by Anti- Terrorist Squad (ATS) chief Rakesh Maria, who was then the Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime), and Special Inspector General Deven Bharti, who was then the Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime).
Maria, Bharti and retired Assistant Commissioner of Police Ashok Duraphe have been awarded with certificates of merit.
Senior Inspector Ramesh Mahale, who was the investigating officer who put together the 11,750-page charge sheet, received Rs 1 lakh, while 11 police inspectors, 10 assistant police inspectors, one police sub-inspector and 16 constables have been awarded amounts ranging from Rs 40,000 to Rs 5,000.
As per government guidelines, no employee should be paid a cash award more than their total monthly salary.
However, in this case, the rule was relaxed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- AAP MLA Jagdeep Singh arrested on assault charges, later released on bail
- Red Bull apologise to Daniel Ricciardo for pit-stop bungle at Monaco
- Have you ever encountered death? These people did and were lucky to survive it – Watch
- Badaun re-run? Teenage girl murdered after gang-rape, body hanged from tree in UP
- Teen sensation Marcus Rashford signs bumper long-term contract at Manchester United: Reports