Cordial ties impossible without NCP`s co-operation: Congress
Mumbai: Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee president Manikrao Thakre on Monday said that a conducive atmosphere for a cordial alliance with the Nationalist Congress Party is impossible without the latter`s co-operation.
"We expect the other side (NCP) also to reciprocate in the same manner," Thakre said, when asked about Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan`s recent statement that the Congress-NCP alliance will continue for the 2014 assembly as well as Lok Sabha elections, and that there was no bitterness between the two allies.
He said that NCP state president Madhukar Pichad`s comments against the chief Minister were unwarranted.
"Elections are still two years away. Both allies will be responsible for creating a conducive atmosphere to seek re-election for a fourth term," he said.
He said that the latest round of the verbal duel was not started by him.
"It was home minister R R Patil who said Congress leaders went to jail before Independence, fighting against the British, whereas now they are imprisoned for corruption. My natural reaction to it was that NCP is a party of criminals. If we are targeted, we will politically respond to such allegations," he said.
He said Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had headed a transparent government for the last two years and by the end of the present legislative assembly`s tenure, the Congress would have fulfilled 90 per cent of its poll promises.
He said the Indu Mill land transfer for an Ambedkar memorial was in its final stages.
"The opposition was playing politics by crying hoarse that the decision was delayed," he said.
He urged the state government to fulfil its promise of making the state free of electricity load shedding by December 2012.
"Efforts must be taken to provide electricity to the people at minimum cost," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'