Corporator among three held for Rs 4 lakh bribe
Thane: A local Corporator and two others, including a civic engineer, were arrested today for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs 4 lakh from a woman for not razing her shop, Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) sources said.
The arrested were identified as Vidyadhar Govind Bhoir, a Corporator of Kalyan Dombivli Municipal Corporation (KDMC), Deputy Engineer Dattatray Laxman Mastud and Vilas Pandurang Kadu, a peon of the civic body, they said.
Bhoir and Mastud originally demanded Rs 8 lakh for not demolishing the shop, reportedly built illegally, of one Ritu Kishor Bhatia. They later settled for Rs 4 lakh, the sources said.
In the meantime, the woman lodged a complaint with the ACB, which laid a trap and caught the peon accepting the bribe on behalf of the Corporator of the Engineer, they said, adding the trio had been booked under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Cash, gold seized on poll day in Jharkhand
Ranchi: Raids at different places in Jharkhand today led to seizure of about Rs 1.68 crore cash, gold and silver on poll day.
The seizure was made at Hazaribagh, Ranchi, Koderma, Ramgarh, Bokaro and Dhanbad, according to a release issued by the Election Commission.
A total of 9.98 gram gold and 18 kg silver were also seized.
The cash and items were sent to Assessing Officer of Income Tax department, the release said.
Polling for six constituencies in the state ended today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley