Corporators threaten to quit if Kolhapur is not made toll free
Kolhapur: The police took NCP-led Kolhapur Municipal Corporation (KMC) mayor Sunita Raut and other corporators into custody here today, after they began protesting at the Shiroli toll post run by the Virendra Mhaiskar-promoted IRB Infrastructure.
The corporators also decided at a meeting called by Raut, that if the Maharashtra government did not make Kolhapur "toll free", then all corporators, as well as the mayor, would resign en masse.
Incidentally, on Monday, the Bombay High Court postponed hearing a petition filed against the IRB by civic activists to February 24, after the Maharashtra Government sought time to study the issue.
Maharashtra Advocate General Darius Khambata appeared on behalf of the Maharashtra government after the HC bench comprising justices A S Oka and M H Sonak mentioned that the case would have repercussions across the state.
However, while a court decision on the petition is still pending, the IRB informed the NCP-led Kolhapur Municipal Corporation and the police on Tuesday that the company would begin toll collection from Wednesday, that is February 5.
As soon as Kolhapur mayor Sunita Raut came to know about resumption of toll collection, she called an urgent meeting attended by most corporators.
After the meeting, the mayor and corporators left for the Shiroli toll post and began protests.
"We started collecting toll from 10 am at Kolhapur. We have got the necessary police protection. Toll collection will help us to improve our revenues during this quarter," IRB Infrastructure Developers Chairman and Managing director Virendra Mhaiskar told PTI today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation