Council polls: Cong refutes speculation about `deal` with Sena
Mumbai: Congress on Sunday said that its decision to field three candidates, instead of four, for Maharashtra Legislative Council elections was in accordance with its strength in the Legislative Assembly.
"Congress has 82 MLAs...Only three nominees could win," state unit general secretary Sanjay Dutt said today, refuting speculation that there was an understanding between Congress and Shiv Sena.
Because of Congress`s decision to field three candidates, Sena could get elected an additional MLC. Among the outgoing MLCs (whose term is expiring) there is only one Sena member.
Eleven candidates, including three of Congress, are set to get elected unopposed, as yesterday was the last day of filing nominations for as many seats. These MLCs are elected by MLAs.
Dutt said though 16 independent MLAs also support Congress, they are not covered by Anti-Defection law (and hence could not be compelled to vote for a particular party).
Congress was keen to prevent horse-trading and cross- voting, Dutt said, adding Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan did not succumb to the pressure of fielding a fourth candidate.
Congress had nominated Dutt, state unit president Manikrao Thakre and Sharad Ranpise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron