Council polls: Cong refutes speculation about `deal` with Sena
Mumbai: Congress on Sunday said that its decision to field three candidates, instead of four, for Maharashtra Legislative Council elections was in accordance with its strength in the Legislative Assembly.
"Congress has 82 MLAs...Only three nominees could win," state unit general secretary Sanjay Dutt said today, refuting speculation that there was an understanding between Congress and Shiv Sena.
Because of Congress`s decision to field three candidates, Sena could get elected an additional MLC. Among the outgoing MLCs (whose term is expiring) there is only one Sena member.
Eleven candidates, including three of Congress, are set to get elected unopposed, as yesterday was the last day of filing nominations for as many seats. These MLCs are elected by MLAs.
Dutt said though 16 independent MLAs also support Congress, they are not covered by Anti-Defection law (and hence could not be compelled to vote for a particular party).
Congress was keen to prevent horse-trading and cross- voting, Dutt said, adding Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan did not succumb to the pressure of fielding a fourth candidate.
Congress had nominated Dutt, state unit president Manikrao Thakre and Sharad Ranpise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'