Couple gets life term for murdering youth
Thane: A local court has sentenced a couple to life imprisonment for murdering an acquaintance at their place at Diva in the district in 2010.
Pronouncing the verdict yesterday, Thane Additional Sessions Judge KR Warrier held Praful Dhadi (20) and his friend Prajakta Shelar (19), both residents of a chawl in Diva township, guilty of murdering their acquaintance Nilesh Sonar for his gold chain and disposing of his body.
The court relied on circumstantial evidence and testimony of witnesses, including an auto driver, and handed down the punishment to the duo under sections 302 (punishment for murder), 201 (causing disappearance of evidence of offence, or giving false information to screen offender) and 379 (punishment for theft) r/w section 34 of IPC.
According to prosecution`s case, Praful and Prajakta strangulated the victim to death with a nylon rope at their room in a chawl on October 23, 2010, after he caught Prajakta of flicking his gold chain.
"The duo even burnt Nilesh`s private parts to doubly ensure that he was dead.
They also soaked the jeans he was wearing at the time of the murder in kerosene and burnt it partially," said Additional Public Prosecutor Ruma Navle.
She said the couple even removed the golden ring from the finger of Nilesh after murdering him, sold off the golden chain to a jeweller in Dombivali and purchased a big suitcase to pack Nilesh`s body before abandoning the suitcase near a temple in the area.
Praful and Prajakta had hired an auto to reach the Pimpleshwar temple, prosecution said.
They were arrested from the house of Prajakta`s father in suburban Ghatkopar in Central Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?