Couple trying to smuggle watches worth crores
Mumbai: An Indian origin American national, who claims to be the owner of an IT firm in the US, was on Friday detained along with wife at Mumbai international
airport for allegedly trying to smuggle in diamond and
gold-studded watches and jewellery worth around Rs two crore,
a customs official said.
According to Customs sources, D Sontakke and his wife,
who are Indian-origin-American nationals, were intercepted on
suspicion, after they passed through the green channel.
The two had concealed gold and diamond-studded watches
and jewellery on their body as well as in their luggage, the
The duo landed here from the US via England on British
Airways flight at about 11 AM today, sources said adding that
their statements were being recorded.
"The duo is likely to be arrested," the source said
adding that, "Sontakke claims to be a billionaire and owner of
an IT firm in the US."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- Cancer: Early warning signs you shouldn't ignore!