Couple trying to smuggle watches worth crores
Mumbai: An Indian origin American national, who claims to be the owner of an IT firm in the US, was on Friday detained along with wife at Mumbai international
airport for allegedly trying to smuggle in diamond and
gold-studded watches and jewellery worth around Rs two crore,
a customs official said.
According to Customs sources, D Sontakke and his wife,
who are Indian-origin-American nationals, were intercepted on
suspicion, after they passed through the green channel.
The two had concealed gold and diamond-studded watches
and jewellery on their body as well as in their luggage, the
The duo landed here from the US via England on British
Airways flight at about 11 AM today, sources said adding that
their statements were being recorded.
"The duo is likely to be arrested," the source said
adding that, "Sontakke claims to be a billionaire and owner of
an IT firm in the US."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'