Court allows police to handcuff Mumbai gang-rape accused
Mumbai: Following the `disappearance` scare on Thursday, a sessions court on Friday allowed police to handcuff the four accused in the photojournalist gang-rape case during the transit between court and jail.
Special prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam told the court that they needed to be handcuffed as all of them had criminal history.
In an embarrassment for police, Siraj Rehman Khan, one of the accused, was said to be `untraceable` during the court hearing yesterday. Later he turned out be at Thane jail.
Principal judge Shalini Phansalkar-Joshi today sought rough outline as to how the trial would proceed.
Prosecution said that draft charges will be filed against Vijay Jadhav, Kasim Bengali, Salim Ansari and Siraj Rehman on October 11, and recording of evidence can start from October 14.
Mumbai police (crime branch) officials told the court that chargesheet in another rape case, where Jadhav, Bengali and Ansari are among the accused, would be filed by October 9.
Siraj, whose `disappearance` sent police into tizzy yesterday, was produced in the court today.
The four accused have been named in the charge sheet under Indian Penal Code Sections 506 (2) (criminal intimidation), 376(d) (gang-rape), 377 (unnatural offence), 342 (wrongful confinement), 341 (wrongful restraint), 201 (destruction of evidence) and 120(b) (criminal conspiracy).
The young photojournalist was gang-raped by the accused when she had gone to the deserted Shakti Mills compound here on August 22 with a male colleague on an assignment.
Before that, an 18-year-old telephone operator had been allegedly gang-raped on July 31 by five men, three of whom were also involved in the August 22 case, in the same premises.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed