Court commutes lifer of woman sentenced for killing nephew
Mumbai: In a partial relief to a woman sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering a relative who
allegedly tried to rape her minor daughter, the Bombay High
Court has dropped the murder charge against the woman and
commuted her sentence to five years for culpable homicide.
A sessions court had in February this year sentenced
Indubai Wagh (45) to life imprisonment for murdering her
nephew, Ganesh, who allegedly tried to rape Wagh`s
The case dates back to June 2009, when Ganesh, who used
to live with Wagh, came home drunk and allegedly tried to
force himself on the minor girl. No amount of persuasion could
dissuade the man and to save her daughter, Wagh picked up a
sharp object and assaulted him. Ganesh succumbed to his
injuries on the spot.
A division bench of Justice B H Marlapalle and A M
Thipsay while hearing an appeal filed by Wagh, dropped the
murder charge observing that the accused had no intention to
kill Ganesh and hence can be convicted only for the offence of
culpable homicide under section 304 (II) of IPC.
"It appears that Ganesh had been staying with the accused
and there was a quarrel between the two caused due to his
misbehaviour with her child. In the heat of anger, Wagh
assaulted Ganesh. Although the injury was inflicted with a
knowledge that it was likely to cause death there was no
intention to cause death," the bench remarked.
The court further held that justice would be served if
the sentence is cut down to five years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22