Court commutes lifer of woman sentenced for killing nephew
Mumbai: In a partial relief to a woman sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering a relative who
allegedly tried to rape her minor daughter, the Bombay High
Court has dropped the murder charge against the woman and
commuted her sentence to five years for culpable homicide.
A sessions court had in February this year sentenced
Indubai Wagh (45) to life imprisonment for murdering her
nephew, Ganesh, who allegedly tried to rape Wagh`s
The case dates back to June 2009, when Ganesh, who used
to live with Wagh, came home drunk and allegedly tried to
force himself on the minor girl. No amount of persuasion could
dissuade the man and to save her daughter, Wagh picked up a
sharp object and assaulted him. Ganesh succumbed to his
injuries on the spot.
A division bench of Justice B H Marlapalle and A M
Thipsay while hearing an appeal filed by Wagh, dropped the
murder charge observing that the accused had no intention to
kill Ganesh and hence can be convicted only for the offence of
culpable homicide under section 304 (II) of IPC.
"It appears that Ganesh had been staying with the accused
and there was a quarrel between the two caused due to his
misbehaviour with her child. In the heat of anger, Wagh
assaulted Ganesh. Although the injury was inflicted with a
knowledge that it was likely to cause death there was no
intention to cause death," the bench remarked.
The court further held that justice would be served if
the sentence is cut down to five years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog