Court exempts Raj from appearance due to Thackeray`s ailment
New Delhi: Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray was on Saturday exempted from personal appearance before it by a Delhi court due to "critical" health conditions of his uncle and Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray.
Raj Thackeray had earlier been ordered to appear before the court today in a host of complaint for his alleged remarks against Bihar natives.
"Exemption application has been moved by applicant accused Raj Thackeray stating that his uncle Bal Thackeray is in critical condition at Mumbai and therefore he is unable to attend the court. In view of the ground, the applicant is exempted," said Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Manish Yaduvanshi.
Thackeray was summoned by the court on September 28 in two cases transferred to the capital from Bihar and Jharkhand by the Supreme Court.
One of the cases in which Thackeray was given exemption was lodged by one Raju Malik, who had complained that he was on board the Howrah-Mumbai mail on October 19, 2008 when MNS workers reached there and began raising scary slogans against Bihar natives, making him rush back home out of fear.
Another case in which the MNS chief was exempted from personal appearance was initiated by advocate Murad Ali against the alleged attack by MNS supporters on north Indian students, specially those from Bihar, during their examinations in Mumbai on October 20, 2008 for jobs in Indian Railways.
The case was transferred by the apex court to Delhi from a court in Bettiah, Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year