Court extends police custody of Jigna Vora
Mumbai: A special court here on Monday extended
till December 9 the police custody of journalist Jigna Vora,
arrested on charges of abetting the murder of senior crime
reporter Jyotirmoy Dey.
Vora was remanded to further police custody after
prosecutor Dilip Shah argued that new material had come to
light in the last few days and this needed to be probed.
He also said that Vora was not cooperating with the
Vora, Deputy Chief of Bureau of Asian Age, was
recently arrested under Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime
Act (MCOCA) on charges of supplying licence plate number of
the motorcycle and address of the slain journalist to Rajan.
Dey, working with city-based tabloid Mid Day, was shot
dead on the orders of Rajan, who allegedly gave Rs 5 lakh to
the accused for the contract killing that took place in
suburban Powai on June 11.
Police, on December 3, had filed chargesheet against
arrested accused --- Rohee Thangappan Joseph alias Satish
Kalya, Abhijeet Shinde, Arun Dake, Sachin Gaikwad, Anil
Waghmode, Nilesh Shendge, Mangesh Agawane, Vinod Asrani,
Paulson Joseph and Deepak Sisodia.
Police has alleged that Rajan was upset with two
articles written by Dey which portrayed him in bad light and
hence by murdering the journalist he wanted to sent a message
to the media that those who write against him would be killed.
Police also alleged that Jigna had instigated Rajan to
kill Dey due to professional rivalry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users