Court frames charges against Gawli in extortion case
Mumbai: A special MCOCA court on Friday framed charges against gangster-turned-politician Arun Gawli in an extortion case filed against him by a city-based builder.
Gawli was arrested by the crime branch in April 2008, along with seven others, for allegedly trying to extort money from the builder.
"Special MCOCA Judge RG Avachat today framed charges against Gawli and the other accused under several sections of MCOCA for extortion. The accused have all pleaded not guilty," special public prosecutor Kalpana Chavan said.
According to the prosecution, Gawli was extorting money from the builder from October 2005 to May 2006. The builder was even taken to Gawli`s residence at Dagdi Chawl in south Mumbai where Gawli allegedly threatened him with dire consequences if he did not pay him Rs 60 lakh.
The case is now likely to come up for hearing on August 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie