Court frames charges against Gawli in extortion case
Mumbai: A special MCOCA court on Friday framed charges against gangster-turned-politician Arun Gawli in an extortion case filed against him by a city-based builder.
Gawli was arrested by the crime branch in April 2008, along with seven others, for allegedly trying to extort money from the builder.
"Special MCOCA Judge RG Avachat today framed charges against Gawli and the other accused under several sections of MCOCA for extortion. The accused have all pleaded not guilty," special public prosecutor Kalpana Chavan said.
According to the prosecution, Gawli was extorting money from the builder from October 2005 to May 2006. The builder was even taken to Gawli`s residence at Dagdi Chawl in south Mumbai where Gawli allegedly threatened him with dire consequences if he did not pay him Rs 60 lakh.
The case is now likely to come up for hearing on August 16.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- A good beginning: Govt on meet between PM Modi, Sonia over GST Bill