Court frames charges against Gawli in extortion case
Mumbai: A special MCOCA court on Friday framed charges against gangster-turned-politician Arun Gawli in an extortion case filed against him by a city-based builder.
Gawli was arrested by the crime branch in April 2008, along with seven others, for allegedly trying to extort money from the builder.
"Special MCOCA Judge RG Avachat today framed charges against Gawli and the other accused under several sections of MCOCA for extortion. The accused have all pleaded not guilty," special public prosecutor Kalpana Chavan said.
According to the prosecution, Gawli was extorting money from the builder from October 2005 to May 2006. The builder was even taken to Gawli`s residence at Dagdi Chawl in south Mumbai where Gawli allegedly threatened him with dire consequences if he did not pay him Rs 60 lakh.
The case is now likely to come up for hearing on August 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir LIVE: Violence at student organisations' protest in Coimbatore, 5 students injured
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog