Court orders police probe against MLA for abusing cop
Mumbai: A local court has ordered police to conduct a probe into alleged offences committed by MLA Kshitij Thakur for hurling abuses on police sub-inspector Sachin Suryavanshi who, on duty, had stopped the former`s car on Bandra-Worli sea link for speeding.
The order was issued recently by Metropolitan Magistrate Court at Bhoiwada in Dadar, central Mumbai, on a complaint filed by social activist Santosh Daundkar.
The court ordered an inquiry and asked police to file a report on August 7.
The inquiry shall also throw light on what had transpired in the police department which prevented the Traffic Police Branch from filing FIR against the MLA even though the acts constituted full ingredients of a cognisable case, said complainant`s advocate Abha Singh.
According to the complaint, on March 18 sub-inspector Suryawanshi of Worli Traffic Branch intercepted MLA Kshitij Thakur for speeding at the sea-link. The MLA allegedly got annoyed and hurled abuses at the PSI.
The incident was reported to Traffic Police Branch, which sent a detailed report to seniors. However, instead of taking action by registering a case against the MLA, he was let off by senior police officials.
The next day, Thakur along with others allegedly assaulted Suryawanshi in the state Assembly premises where the latter had gone in response to summons issued to him by the Speaker. Thakur was suspended from the Assembly for the act. However, he was reinstated recently.
According to the complainant, the MLA had allegedly committed offences under IPC sections 294 (committing obscene acts in public and 506 (criminal intimidation).
Daundkar told the court that when he learnt from police sources that the said report of traffic police branch was dumped, an application was made by him to file a separate FIR.
However, no FIR was filed even though there was an official report prepared by the Traffic Police Branch, Worli, that filthy abuses were hurled by the MLA on a police personnel in uniform.
As the police did not act against the MLA, an application was filed in Bhoiwada Magistrate Court seeking a police probe under section 202 of CrPc.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says