Court orders probe against Maharashtra minister
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court Friday directed Mumbai Police to submit an investigation report in a money laundering and land grabbing case against state Water Resources Minister Sunil Tatkare by Feb 22.
Hearing a petition filed by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) national secretary Kirit Somaiya, a division bench of Justice A.M. Khanwilkar and Justice K.K. Tated directed the Economic Offence Wing (EOW) to investigate the matter and take appropriate steps.
The bench also directed the EOW to record the statement of the petitioner (Somaiya) and gather available information regarding the allegations on Tatkare.
The court criticised police for their careless approach towards the complaint.
"Why has the concerned officer not looked into the complaint and gathered more information? The police have to respond. You (police) just put such complaints into the dustbin. This attitude is not good," the court said.
In a PIL filed by Somaiya along with BJP legislator Madhav Bhandari in August last year, Tatkare has been alleged to have misused his position as a minister and bought `benami` lands in the state, thereby causing losses worth crores of rupees to public exchequer.
Tatkare has, however, denied all allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?