Court orders probe against Maharashtra minister
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court Friday directed Mumbai Police to submit an investigation report in a money laundering and land grabbing case against state Water Resources Minister Sunil Tatkare by Feb 22.
Hearing a petition filed by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) national secretary Kirit Somaiya, a division bench of Justice A.M. Khanwilkar and Justice K.K. Tated directed the Economic Offence Wing (EOW) to investigate the matter and take appropriate steps.
The bench also directed the EOW to record the statement of the petitioner (Somaiya) and gather available information regarding the allegations on Tatkare.
The court criticised police for their careless approach towards the complaint.
"Why has the concerned officer not looked into the complaint and gathered more information? The police have to respond. You (police) just put such complaints into the dustbin. This attitude is not good," the court said.
In a PIL filed by Somaiya along with BJP legislator Madhav Bhandari in August last year, Tatkare has been alleged to have misused his position as a minister and bought `benami` lands in the state, thereby causing losses worth crores of rupees to public exchequer.
Tatkare has, however, denied all allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery