Court orders probe against Maharashtra minister
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court Friday directed Mumbai Police to submit an investigation report in a money laundering and land grabbing case against state Water Resources Minister Sunil Tatkare by Feb 22.
Hearing a petition filed by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) national secretary Kirit Somaiya, a division bench of Justice A.M. Khanwilkar and Justice K.K. Tated directed the Economic Offence Wing (EOW) to investigate the matter and take appropriate steps.
The bench also directed the EOW to record the statement of the petitioner (Somaiya) and gather available information regarding the allegations on Tatkare.
The court criticised police for their careless approach towards the complaint.
"Why has the concerned officer not looked into the complaint and gathered more information? The police have to respond. You (police) just put such complaints into the dustbin. This attitude is not good," the court said.
In a PIL filed by Somaiya along with BJP legislator Madhav Bhandari in August last year, Tatkare has been alleged to have misused his position as a minister and bought `benami` lands in the state, thereby causing losses worth crores of rupees to public exchequer.
Tatkare has, however, denied all allegations.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living