Court orders probe against Maharashtra minister
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court Friday directed Mumbai Police to submit an investigation report in a money laundering and land grabbing case against state Water Resources Minister Sunil Tatkare by Feb 22.
Hearing a petition filed by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) national secretary Kirit Somaiya, a division bench of Justice A.M. Khanwilkar and Justice K.K. Tated directed the Economic Offence Wing (EOW) to investigate the matter and take appropriate steps.
The bench also directed the EOW to record the statement of the petitioner (Somaiya) and gather available information regarding the allegations on Tatkare.
The court criticised police for their careless approach towards the complaint.
"Why has the concerned officer not looked into the complaint and gathered more information? The police have to respond. You (police) just put such complaints into the dustbin. This attitude is not good," the court said.
In a PIL filed by Somaiya along with BJP legislator Madhav Bhandari in August last year, Tatkare has been alleged to have misused his position as a minister and bought `benami` lands in the state, thereby causing losses worth crores of rupees to public exchequer.
Tatkare has, however, denied all allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Bihar polls: Alert sounded ahead of PM Modi's rallies in Bihar
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook