Court orders probe against Maharashtra minister
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court Friday directed Mumbai Police to submit an investigation report in a money laundering and land grabbing case against state Water Resources Minister Sunil Tatkare by Feb 22.
Hearing a petition filed by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) national secretary Kirit Somaiya, a division bench of Justice A.M. Khanwilkar and Justice K.K. Tated directed the Economic Offence Wing (EOW) to investigate the matter and take appropriate steps.
The bench also directed the EOW to record the statement of the petitioner (Somaiya) and gather available information regarding the allegations on Tatkare.
The court criticised police for their careless approach towards the complaint.
"Why has the concerned officer not looked into the complaint and gathered more information? The police have to respond. You (police) just put such complaints into the dustbin. This attitude is not good," the court said.
In a PIL filed by Somaiya along with BJP legislator Madhav Bhandari in August last year, Tatkare has been alleged to have misused his position as a minister and bought `benami` lands in the state, thereby causing losses worth crores of rupees to public exchequer.
Tatkare has, however, denied all allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Woman suicide over morphed picture: One arrested
- 7th Pay Commission: Gratuity ceiling doubled to Rs 20 lakh
- Govinda ultimate Bollywood dancer for me: Farah Khan
- Harbhajan Singh to sponsor kit for disabled cricketers of India
- Maharashtra B.Ed CET Results 2016 to be declared on Thursday (June 30). Log on to bed.mhpravesh.in