Court rejects bail applications of Azad Maidan rioters
Mumbai: The sessions court on Saturday rejected bail applications filed by the five accused arrested in connection with the August 11 Azad Maidan violence, observing that there is a prima facie case against them and the investigation is at a crucial stage.
The court also observed that time is required for completing the investigation and therefore granting bail to the accused may hamper the probe.
Taking into account CCTV footages and statements of witnesses recorded by the police, the court observed that the evidence produced by the crime branch showed their involvement.
Meanwhile, the esplanade magistrate court today transferred the custody of one of the minors arrested on Wednesday to the juvenile court.
Two youths were killed and 52, including 44 policemen, were injured on August 11, when a rally called to protest alleged atrocities on Muslims in Assam and Myanmar turned violent.
Protesters went on a rampage attacking the police, including some women constables, torching media and police vehicles, as well as smashing cameras of photo-journalists and damaging buses.
Among the arrested accused include two "most wanted" rioters, who had vandalised the iconic Amar Jawan memorial on the fateful day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician