Court rejects bail applications of Azad Maidan rioters
Mumbai: The sessions court on Saturday rejected bail applications filed by the five accused arrested in connection with the August 11 Azad Maidan violence, observing that there is a prima facie case against them and the investigation is at a crucial stage.
The court also observed that time is required for completing the investigation and therefore granting bail to the accused may hamper the probe.
Taking into account CCTV footages and statements of witnesses recorded by the police, the court observed that the evidence produced by the crime branch showed their involvement.
Meanwhile, the esplanade magistrate court today transferred the custody of one of the minors arrested on Wednesday to the juvenile court.
Two youths were killed and 52, including 44 policemen, were injured on August 11, when a rally called to protest alleged atrocities on Muslims in Assam and Myanmar turned violent.
Protesters went on a rampage attacking the police, including some women constables, torching media and police vehicles, as well as smashing cameras of photo-journalists and damaging buses.
Among the arrested accused include two "most wanted" rioters, who had vandalised the iconic Amar Jawan memorial on the fateful day.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know