Court sends Yasin Bhatkal to 14 days police custody
Pune: A court here on Friday ordered Indian Mujahideen (IM) co-founder Yasin Bhatkal, who is allegedly involved in the German Bakery bomb blast case, to 14 days of police custody.
Assistant Police Commissioner of the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) Shantaram Tayde produced Yasin Bhatkal in the court of Additional Sessions Judge S D Dharne today.
Bhatkal is the key suspect in the German Bakery attack on February 13, 2010, which killed 17 people and injured 64.
After watching CCTV camera footage, investigating agencies accused Bhatkal of being involved in the blast.
Asked by the court if Bhatkal had any complaints against the police, he replied in the negative. When the court asked him if he needed a lawyer, he replied in the affirmative.
As a lawyer is needed to give Bhatkal judicial remand, advocate Indrapreet Gil showed his consent to become his lawyer.
Public prosecutor Raja Thakre demanded police custody for Bhatkal, arguing the police still have to probe other crimes which the accused had allegedly committed when he absconded.
Thakre argued the police are yet to investigate the source of the RDX brought by Bhatkal, adding the police might get information about the other absconders from him.
Thakre said the police are yet to study the communication system in Indian Mujahideen. Bhatkal was arrested from Indo-Nepal border on August 28 last year, after being on the run for almost eight years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says