Court summons ex-cop Pradeep Sharma in extortion case
Mumbai: In further trouble for the dismissed police officer, `encounter specialist` Pradeep Sharma, a local court today issued a summons asking him to appear before the court in a 15 years old extortion case.
Sharma is already facing a murder case in connection with the fake encounter killing of Chhota Rajan gang member Lakkhan Bhaiya and is in jail.
Another encounter specialist Daya Nayak, who was reinstated in police force a few months ago, is also an accused in the extortion case.
According to complainant Tariq Ahmed, a scrap dealer from suburban Kalina, on March 19, 1997 when he was travelling in his car, he was stopped by Nayak, Sharma and five others.
The police officers allegedly told him that they had orders from the superiors to "bump him off" but he would be spared if he paid Rs five lakh. The amount was then negotiated down to Rs two lakh, which Ahmed handed over the next day.
However, 15 days later, Nayak allegedly called Ahmed and demanded more money. Ahmed then filed a complaint with the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) which directed the Police Commissioner to inquire into these allegations.
State CID had in 1999 filed a chargesheet which named only Nayak. But Ahmed moved the magistrate`s court in 2008 seeking to add Sharma`s name as an accused.
The magistrate`s court rejected it but the sessions court reversed the ruling and added Sharma`s name in December 2010 as co-accused in the case.
A hearing is likely on June 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues