Cow slaughter: Maha House plunges into pandemonium
Mumbai: The killing of cows in the
powerloom town of Malegaon rocked the Maharashtra Legislative
Assembly which witnessed seven adjournments today as
Opposition declared that it will not allow smooth proceedings
till the guilty are brought to book.
The House initially witnessed two adjournments of 10
and 15 minutes each followed by adjournments of 30 minutes
(twice), 20 and another 10 minutes before being adjourned for
Shiv Sena legislator Dada Bhuse from Malegaon raised
the matter as soon as the House assembled for the day. He said
dead cows were scattered in different parts of Malegaon and
Bhuse also informed that a spontaneous bandh has been
observed in Malegaon to protest against the incident.
On this, Home Minister R R Patil said that he would
make a statement after the Question Hour. He said carcasses of
eight cows were recovered from three different places and the
post mortem report is awaited. Two police have formed two
teams to nab the accused, he informed the House, adding a post
mortem report would clear the reasons of death of the cows.
However, the Opposition members were not satisfied
with the reply and demanded strict action against the guilty.
Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse described the
incident as "inhuman" and said it was deliberately done on the
auspicious occasion of Ashadhi Ekadashi yesterday.
Subhash Desai (Shiv Sena) accused the police and the
government of "religious bias".
Khadse claimed a local woman office bearer of BJP was
so shocked to see the dead cows that she fell unconscious and
died in the hospital this morning.
The Opposition members held banners demanding ban on
cow slaughter and hanging of the accused.
Sensing the belligerent mood of the Opposition
members, presiding officer Jeetendra Awahad adjourned the
House for the day.
The issue also figured in the Legislative Council.
Leader of Opposition Pandurang Phundkar raised it through an
He said the killing of cows should be condemned and
the issue to be discussed setting aside rest of the day`s
agenda. Shiv Sena MLC Diwakar Raote said despite the existence
of an act preventing cow slaughter, such an incident has taken
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate