Cow slaughter: Maha House plunges into pandemonium
Mumbai: The killing of cows in the
powerloom town of Malegaon rocked the Maharashtra Legislative
Assembly which witnessed seven adjournments today as
Opposition declared that it will not allow smooth proceedings
till the guilty are brought to book.
The House initially witnessed two adjournments of 10
and 15 minutes each followed by adjournments of 30 minutes
(twice), 20 and another 10 minutes before being adjourned for
Shiv Sena legislator Dada Bhuse from Malegaon raised
the matter as soon as the House assembled for the day. He said
dead cows were scattered in different parts of Malegaon and
Bhuse also informed that a spontaneous bandh has been
observed in Malegaon to protest against the incident.
On this, Home Minister R R Patil said that he would
make a statement after the Question Hour. He said carcasses of
eight cows were recovered from three different places and the
post mortem report is awaited. Two police have formed two
teams to nab the accused, he informed the House, adding a post
mortem report would clear the reasons of death of the cows.
However, the Opposition members were not satisfied
with the reply and demanded strict action against the guilty.
Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse described the
incident as "inhuman" and said it was deliberately done on the
auspicious occasion of Ashadhi Ekadashi yesterday.
Subhash Desai (Shiv Sena) accused the police and the
government of "religious bias".
Khadse claimed a local woman office bearer of BJP was
so shocked to see the dead cows that she fell unconscious and
died in the hospital this morning.
The Opposition members held banners demanding ban on
cow slaughter and hanging of the accused.
Sensing the belligerent mood of the Opposition
members, presiding officer Jeetendra Awahad adjourned the
House for the day.
The issue also figured in the Legislative Council.
Leader of Opposition Pandurang Phundkar raised it through an
He said the killing of cows should be condemned and
the issue to be discussed setting aside rest of the day`s
agenda. Shiv Sena MLC Diwakar Raote said despite the existence
of an act preventing cow slaughter, such an incident has taken
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead