CPI demands action against police for kidnapping tribal youth
Gadchiroli: The Communist Party of India (CPI) has demanded stringent action against policemen for allegedly "kidnapping "a tribal youth and harassing him under the pretext of an inquiry.
Talking to reporters at Armori on Thursday evening, CPI district secretary Mahesh Kopulwar said that policemen in civil clothes kidnapped Arjun Madavi (22) of Dongargaon village in Kurkheda taluka in their vehicle on Wednesday afternoon, when the youth was grazing his cattle in the village forest, alleging that he is associated with Maoists.
His family members were not informed and he was driven to Gadchiroli.
After learning about the incident, his relative Rohit Uike approached the Purada police station the same evening and lodged a complaint. Even after this, his family was not told anything about the police action.
It was only after a police informer of the village went to the police station the next day, the Purada police told him that the youth was at the DIG`s office in Gadchiroli,Kopulwar said.
Strongly opposing the police action, he demanded strict action against the erring cops.
A tribal woman Suman Pada was also kidnapped in the same way a few months ago, but was released later when the matter was raised in the media, he said.
CPI workers along with Dongargaon`s villagers plan to demonstrate at the police station to protest the action, senior CPI leader and advocate Jagdish Meshram said.
Gadchiroli Range DIG Ravindra Kadam admitted that the boy was wrongly detained and nothing suspicious was found during the investigation.
The youth`s parents have already been informed about him and he will be released shortly, the DIG said.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2016: Wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in class 10th X Result 2016 West Bengal Board is likely to be announced on May 10, 2016
- Four months after Pathankot terror attack, bodies of 4 terrorists buried
- These five super-foods will help you lose weight in the summer!
- Chopper deal: No evidence to link politicians with AgustaWestland bribes, says Italian judge who delivered verdict
- Check out pic: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg's “Star Wars” meeting!