CPI(M) opposes Damanganga-Pinjal river link project
Thane: CPI(M) has opposed the proposed Damanganga-Pinjal River Link Project which will connect Gujarat with Maharashtra.
Dismissing the project as an "eye wash", the Gujarat unit party secretary Ashok Mehta said "such projects serve interest of politicians".
He was addressing a tribals` rally at Talasari yesterday.
Mehta said Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi cares only for the elite and upper class.
The proposal of Damanganga-Pinjal link envisages transfer of balance available water at the proposed Bhugad reservoir across Damanganga river and at the proposed Khargi hill reservoir across Vagh river in Damanganga basin for augmentation of water supply to Greater Mumbai.
Senior CPI (M) leader Sitaram Yechury also addressed the gathering.
The detailed project report (DPR) of Damanganga-Pinjal Link, is likely to be ready by year-end.
The Geological Survey of India (GSI) (Central), one of the agencies involved in the project, has begun geological studies for constructing dams and tunnels to connect the two rivers.
GSI has already completed the surface mapping for the two dams and tunnels involved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi