Crime branch seeks death penalty for Arun Gawli in
Mumbai: City crime branch on Monday demanded capital punishment for the gangster-turned-politician Arun Gawli, who was convicted in Shiv Sena corporator Kamlakar Jamsandekar murder case.
The crime branch said that it was a case in which an elected representative was murdered by an MLA. "Jamsandekar was a public figure and he was killed by Gawli, who is also a public representative and therefore this is a special case and demands death punishment," special prosecutor Raja Thakare argued.
On Friday, special judge Prithiviraj Chavan had convicted Gawli and eleven others for their involvement in the murder case four years ago.
Thakare argued that Gawli was heading an organised crime syndicate and used Akhil Bhartiya Sena (ABS) as a political front for his "criminal activities".
Demanding death penalty for Gawli and accused Vijay Giri and Pratap Borse, Thakare argued that this was a first case, in which a kingpin of an organised crime syndicate had been convicted.
He also argued that Gawli had been running the organised crime syndicate in the city for many years and had been booked for serious offences. "The gang has slowly expanded its horizons, where they misguided youths and got them to do illegal work," Thakare argued adding that the gang continued to operate from jail.
The defence will argue on the point of sentence tomorrow.
Hundreds of supporters of Gawli gathered at the court today. Gawli`s mother, wife and daughter were also present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves