Crime Branch takes over Nitesh Rane firing case
Mumbai: The case pertaining to firing on NGO Swabhiman Sanghatana`s Chintu Shaikh allegedly by Maharashtra Revenue Minister Narayan Rane`s son Nitesh has been handed
over to the Crime Branch, police said.
Chintu Shaikh had last week met the state Home Minister RR Patil alleging that the Khar police were delaying the probe.
The Crime Branch team headed by Joint Police Commissioner Himanshu Roy will investigate the matter and the Khar Police who handled the case till now, will hand over the papers related to the probe to his team, they added.
On September 23, Nitesh and his two aides Nitin Vardhanarayan and Zaheed Shaikh were charged with attempt to murder after Shaikh complained to police accusing the
politician`s son of firing at him, injuring him on his cheek at the NGO`s Khar office.
Nitesh heads the Sanghatana, an NGO, and Shaikh is vice president of the NGO`s transport wing.
A complaint was registered at suburban Khar police station but no arrests have been made in the case so far.
Statements of all the three accused as well as those present at the NGO office at the time of alleged firing have been recorded, police said.
Furious over `shoddy` probe, Shaikh met Home Minister RR Patil demanding immediate arrest of Nitesh and alleged that Khar police were deliberately delaying the matter as the
Revenue Minister Narayan Rane`s son was involved in the case.
"We will study the case first and see how to act on it," said a Crime Branch official.
After the incident, police said Shaikh had admitted himself to a private hospital in suburban Powai, where the medical report suggested that the injury on his cheek "in all
probability" was not caused by a bullet, raising doubts over Shaikh`s claims.
Subsequently, Shaikh was admitted to JJ Hospital which was ascertaining the cause of the injury on his cheek, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- CM Mehbooba Mufti favours abrogation of AFSPA from parts of J&K; says if successful it can be revoked in entirety
- EPFO likely to raise equity investment to 10%
- West Indies vs India: Statistical highlights — Records for Saha, pace pair Shami and Yadav
- West Indies vs India, 1st Test: 5-star Ashwin dominates hosts on Day 4
- Televangelist Zakir Naik's aides make startling revelations, it will shock you -- Read