Crime Branch takes over Nitesh Rane firing case
Mumbai: The case pertaining to firing on NGO Swabhiman Sanghatana`s Chintu Shaikh allegedly by Maharashtra Revenue Minister Narayan Rane`s son Nitesh has been handed
over to the Crime Branch, police said.
Chintu Shaikh had last week met the state Home Minister RR Patil alleging that the Khar police were delaying the probe.
The Crime Branch team headed by Joint Police Commissioner Himanshu Roy will investigate the matter and the Khar Police who handled the case till now, will hand over the papers related to the probe to his team, they added.
On September 23, Nitesh and his two aides Nitin Vardhanarayan and Zaheed Shaikh were charged with attempt to murder after Shaikh complained to police accusing the
politician`s son of firing at him, injuring him on his cheek at the NGO`s Khar office.
Nitesh heads the Sanghatana, an NGO, and Shaikh is vice president of the NGO`s transport wing.
A complaint was registered at suburban Khar police station but no arrests have been made in the case so far.
Statements of all the three accused as well as those present at the NGO office at the time of alleged firing have been recorded, police said.
Furious over `shoddy` probe, Shaikh met Home Minister RR Patil demanding immediate arrest of Nitesh and alleged that Khar police were deliberately delaying the matter as the
Revenue Minister Narayan Rane`s son was involved in the case.
"We will study the case first and see how to act on it," said a Crime Branch official.
After the incident, police said Shaikh had admitted himself to a private hospital in suburban Powai, where the medical report suggested that the injury on his cheek "in all
probability" was not caused by a bullet, raising doubts over Shaikh`s claims.
Subsequently, Shaikh was admitted to JJ Hospital which was ascertaining the cause of the injury on his cheek, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Bihar: This boy risks his life to save four students from drowning!
- Panel discussion on insensitive behaviour of administration and govt towards common man
- Stopping exercise for 10 days decreases brain blood flow
- Learn it from Japan – It runs a train for single passenger! Know why
- Subramanian Swamy calls LG Najeeb Jung a “420 like Kejriwal”
- India's bid to join US alliance could irk China, Pakistan: Chinese media
- MUST WATCH: When Mahendra Singh Dhoni hit two monster sixes out of Florida stadium