Crimes against women: Maharashtra to set up fast track courts
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government has proposed setting up 25 fast track courts for time-bound disposal of serious crimes against women, Home Minister R R Patil said here on Thursday.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has given an in-principle consent to the proposal and the government will approach the Bombay High Court to seek its nod, Patil told reporters at the renovated Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) office here, which will be formally inaugurated by NCP chief Sharad Pawar tomorrow.
The move to set up such courts comes in the wake of a spurt in incidents of rape and harassment of girls in various parts of the state.
"In Maharashtra, there are 100 fast track courts for speedy disposal of criminal cases. We will approach the Bombay High Court to earmark 25 of these courts exclusively for serious crimes against women. We feel that if dedicated courts are set up, it would certainly help in reducing violence against women," Patil said.
Earlier this week, Chavan held a meeting with Patil, Additional Chief Secretary (Home) Amitabh Rajan, DGP Sanjeev Dayal as well as police commissioners of Mumbai, Navi-Mumbai and Thane to review pending cases and measures to be taken to restore confidence among women.
Patil met all inspector generals of police across the state today for effective implementation of decisions taken during the CM`s meeting.
It has been proposed to set up special women`s cell in all police stations, counselling centres across the state and increase the presence of women in the police force.
Patil also announced that the police would step up their drive against black films on window panes of vehicles.
The Supreme Court has prohibited the use of black films or tinted glass on windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!