Crop-loans to be restructured in drought-hit districts of Maharashtra
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Monday said that crop loans in the 15 drought-affected districts in the state would be restructured.
"As per the existing crop loan scheme, there is zero per cent interest for loans of upto Rs one lakh and two per cent for loan upto Rs 3 lakh, provided that repayment is made in the stipulated period. In the drought-affected areas, farmers could not repay loans. So, the government has decided to restructure the loans after taking into consideration the principal amount and interest," Chavan told reporters after chairing a meeting of state-level bankers` committee (SLBC).
He said a total of about Rs 7,000 crore-worth loans in 11,809 villages would be restructured.
"Last year, the crop loan disbursement was to the tune of Rs 25,000 crore," Chavan added.
He also said that nationalised banks have been asked to provide crop loans.
Chavan said that at today`s meeting with SLBC, government expressed concern that investment credit had declined and the percentage of crop loan had grown. SLBC was told to provide loans for drip irrigation and construction of farm ponds. Chavan also said that credit-deposit ratio had fallen in a few districts.
Financial condition of Jalna and Dhule-Nandurbar district co-operative banks had improved and they were likely to get back license soon, he said. They were among the six district co-operative banks against whom RBI had passed strictures.
Chavan said banks have been asked to have one branch in villages where population is (upto) 5,000 and ultra-small bank or business correspondent for villages with population of 2,000 or less.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday