CRPF security to Mukesh Ambani challenged in High Court
Mumbai: Two social activists have approached the Bombay High Court challenging the `Z` category CRPF security sanctioned by the Centre for Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani.
A Public Interest Litigation filed by Nitin Deshpande and Vikrant Karnik has sought quashing of the April 21 order of the Union Government, sanctioning CRPF security for Ambani.
The government sanctioned the security after Ambani`s office informed the Mumbai police about threatening letters purportedly sent by the terror group Indian Mujahideen (IM).
According to the PIL, CRPF is constituted to tackle emergency situations, and not for day-to-day law and order duties.
"The service of the CRPF is required only when there arises situation of national emergency, terrorist attacks, internal disturbances, riots or otherwise which is beyond the control of the local police," it states.
"The sanction given by the Union government is in utter violation and disregard of the CRPF Act and Rules. It is arbitrary, unauthorised and illegal," it claims.
It further says that such security is given to only high-risk individuals including Cabinet ministers, Chief Ministers, Supreme Court and High Court Judges, leading politicians and senior bureaucrats.
"However, in recent years, the original concept and intention of providing special forces to selected personalities have undergone a great change and is getting polluted. Apart from the public and official personalities, special forces are now even allotted to influential politicians and celebrities who use this privilege as a status symbol," the PIL claims.
Division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice M S Sanklecha today posted the PIL for hearing on August 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks