CRPF security to Mukesh Ambani challenged in High Court
Mumbai: Two social activists have approached the Bombay High Court challenging the `Z` category CRPF security sanctioned by the Centre for Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani.
A Public Interest Litigation filed by Nitin Deshpande and Vikrant Karnik has sought quashing of the April 21 order of the Union Government, sanctioning CRPF security for Ambani.
The government sanctioned the security after Ambani`s office informed the Mumbai police about threatening letters purportedly sent by the terror group Indian Mujahideen (IM).
According to the PIL, CRPF is constituted to tackle emergency situations, and not for day-to-day law and order duties.
"The service of the CRPF is required only when there arises situation of national emergency, terrorist attacks, internal disturbances, riots or otherwise which is beyond the control of the local police," it states.
"The sanction given by the Union government is in utter violation and disregard of the CRPF Act and Rules. It is arbitrary, unauthorised and illegal," it claims.
It further says that such security is given to only high-risk individuals including Cabinet ministers, Chief Ministers, Supreme Court and High Court Judges, leading politicians and senior bureaucrats.
"However, in recent years, the original concept and intention of providing special forces to selected personalities have undergone a great change and is getting polluted. Apart from the public and official personalities, special forces are now even allotted to influential politicians and celebrities who use this privilege as a status symbol," the PIL claims.
Division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice M S Sanklecha today posted the PIL for hearing on August 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price