Curfew relaxed in Ahmednagar, but people remained in houses
Ahmednagar: Fearing police action, people
in the towm were today found to be observing elf-imposed
`bandh` despite relaxation of the curfew, imposed yesterday
following a riot on Saturday night.
A clash between police and Shiv Sena activists and
subsequent police firing on the mob took place on Saturday
night. The clash followed when police raided private premises
of Shiv Sena taluk unit chief D P Macchindra Dhumal on the
complaints of conducting gambling activity. At that time,Sena
men had pelted stones at police and it led to police firing
and curfew was imposed in the town.
Meanwhile, seven accused in the riots case have been
sent to police custody. A top police officer told PTI that the
probe into the riot and police firing is going on and 58 names
of the accused have been ascertained and cases will be filed
Chargesheet has been filed against the seven persons
who are absconding, police said. Dhumal has escaped from the
hospital at Nashik without paying the bill to avoid arrest,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees