`Current dwellers of pre-1995 slums in Mumbai eligible for rehab`
Mumbai: With an eye on the Assembly polls due next year, the Congress-NCP alliance government on Friday announced that the current residents of the slums in Mumbai, built before 1995, will be eligible for rehabilitation schemes.
Though slums in existence prior to January 1, 1995 have been already regularised, in many cases the original inhabitants have moved out.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan announced in the Legislative Assembly that government had decided to make the current residents (even those who occupied the dwelling after 1995) eligible for Slum Rehabilitation Authority (SRA) schemes.
Necessary changes will be made in the Development Control Rules (DCR) and Maharashtra Slum Areas (Improvement, Clearance and Redevelopment) Act, 1971, he said. Section 33 (10) of the DC rules would be amended, the Chief Minister said, replying to a debate on Mumbai-related issues in the House.
Explaining the rationale, Chavan said that as in many cases the original inhabitants had moved out, "this was creating problems in expediting several development projects."
The decision is expected to help long-pending projects such as Dharavi redevelopment and Mumbai airport expansion plan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray