Custody of 3 accused in Malegaon blast case extended
Mumbai: A special NIA court on Thursday extended the police custody of three accused arrested in connection with the Malegoan 2006 blast case.
The court extended the custody of Dhan Singh and Rajendra Chaudhary, who are also key accused in the 2007 Samjautha Express blast case, till January 30, while another accused Manohar Singh was remanded to custody till January 24.
Multiple bomb explosions in Malegaon, a communally sensitive powerloom town in Nashik district, about 200 kms from here, near a mosque on September 8, 2006 had claimed 37 lives and injured over 100.
After the explosion, the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) had arrested nine suspects, all of whom were granted bail on November 5.
The probe was later transferred to NIA (National Investigation Agency) which arrested the main accused recently.
In November last year, NIA had told the court that the confession of Swami Aseemanand, arrested in the 2007 blast at Hyderabad`s Mecca Masjid, pointed to the alleged involvement of a right wing group in the Malegaon attack.
Malegaon had seen another terror act in 2008 allegedly by right wing Hindu groups and Sadhvi Pragya Singh and former Lt Col Srikant Purohit were arrested in connection with it.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?