Cyclone-hit Thane: Central team report in 3 days
Cuddalore: A Central Team on Monday visited
the cyclone Thane hit Cuddalore district to assess the damage
and said it would submit its report in three days.
The nine-member inter-ministerial team led by Joint
Secretary in Union Home Ministry Lokesh Jha, toured various
localities devastated by the severe storm that crossed the
coast near here on December 30. District Collector V
Amudhavalli accompanied the team.
The district bore the brunt of the cylone fury which
claimed 39 lives, cut-off the electricity supply and caused
extensive damage to crops.
Talking to reporters at Melmampattu village after visiting
the affected areas, Jha said the total loss suffered due to
the cyclone had not yet been finalised by the district
He said the team, which yesterday conducted on-the-spot
assessment of the situation in Puducherry, also affected by
the cyclone, would submit its report to the Central Government
in three days.
He said the entire Cuddalore district had been badly hit by
the cyclone. The team members were informed by villagers that
houses and crops, including cashew and jackfruit trees, on
large extent of land had been destroyed.
Jha said the Central electricity division would help the
state government in restoring power supply in the district,
where thousands of electric poles were uprooted by the gale
The affected people also pleaded with the central team that
they be provided with houses that could withstand rains and
The team comprised representatives of the Ministries and
Departments of Agriculture, Drinking Water, Finance, Health,
Power, Road Transport and Highways, Rural Development, Water
Resources, Planning Commission and National Disaster
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing