Dabbawalas to represent Maharashtra on Jan 26 parade
Mumbai: Known best for their proficiency in delivering lunch-boxes, Mumbai Dabbawalas would again do Mahrashtra proud when they would represent the state in the Republic Day parade in Delhi.
"We would display uninterrupted service of Dabbawalas on the republic day parade in Delhi," Secretary for Tourism and Culture Anand Kulkarni said.
Over 100-year-old business community of Dabbawalas grabbed attention when Prince Charles met them during his visit to the city. He even invited them for his marriage in England.
In 1998, Forbes Global magazine conducted an analysis and gave them a Six Sigma rating of efficiency. The Dabbawalas were asked in international business schools to carry lectures and share management tips with students.
"This would be an honour towards the hard working community on the Republic Day parade and they would represent true spirit and culture of Mumbai," an official from Culture Department said adding "we have chosen 15 Dabbawalas for the presentation and have taught them music and dance which they would perform," the official said.
With unique coding system as a mantra for their successful business, around five thousand Dabbawallas carry tiffin to two lakh officegoers and school children everyday in Mumbai.
Expressing gratitude, president of Nutan Mumbai Tiffinbox Suppliers, Raghunath Medge said "this is like dream come true”.
"We have always read and heard about Delhi but none of us went there. This is like dream come true for us and we are very thankful to the Government for the opportunity," he said.
Medge also hoped that their customers would respect them more and the business would grow further with this honour.
Earlier, Maharashtra stood first for three consecutive years for their presentation in the Republic Day parade and also won the Vaijayanti award.
However, due to security reasons all the states are not allowed to participate in the parade, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez