Dabholkar murder: Pune`s ex-top cop exposed in sting video
Pune: A day after former Pune police commissioner Gulabrao Pol slapped a Rs.1 billion defamation notice against a popular news magazine, the publication Tuesday released a video of a sting operation that showed a `tantrik` was employed to obtain clues about the killers of renowned rationalist Narendra Dabholkar.
The sting video by Outlook magazine also lays hollow the claims by Pol that he had never met reporter Ashish Khaitan or the `tantrik` - retired police officer Manish Thakur.
The magazine had run a story in its July 14 issue alleging that Pune police had requisitioned the services of the `tantrik` to summon Dabholkar`s soul and get clues on his mystery killers.
Dabholkar was shot dead Aug 20 last year.
Even after more than 11 months having elapsed since he was gunned down during his morning walk, police have failed to solve the killing, and handed over the probe to the Central Bureau of Investigation.
Alleging that the magazine article was defamatory, the 2012 President`s Medal winner Pol shot off a Rs.100 crore defamation notice to Outlook editor Krishna Prasad and reporter Khaitan.
Pol`s lawyer Harshad Nimbalkar said his client (Pol) had already denied the contentions in the magazine article which were "per se defamatory, false, frivolous and intended for cheap publicity" that lowered the public standing of the retired police officer.
He also announced plans to file a separate criminal case against Khaitan, who Pol claimed had never met him.
Pol has denied using supernatural methods like engaging a `tantrik` to solve the case.
However, the sting video shows how Pol not only hired Thakur`s services last month in his office, but also gave him money and a vehicle and discussed ways to communicate with Dabholkar`s soul to find out who killed him.
The sting video - running into nearly six hours - also shows Thakur demonstrating to the reporter how he `called` Dabholkar`s soul and spoke to him.
Shockingly, the video also shows how police regularly utilise the help of `tantriks` and `godmen` to solve various criminal cases, raising questions about the efficacy of trained investigators.
Reacting to the sting operation, a stunned Mukta Dabholkar (daughter of the late rationalist) Tuesday demanded immediate action by the authorities in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla