Dabholkar murder: Sanatan Sanstha denies hand, says his death is God’s wish
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Sanatan Sanstha, the Hindu right-wing group often at loggerheads with Narendra Dabholkar, on Wednesday sought to distance itself from the anti-superstition activist`s killing.
"We are shocked by Dabholkar`s murder...We don`t have anything to do with the killing," Sanatan spokesperson Abhay Vartak told reporters here.
Meanwhile, Sanatan Sanstha ideologue Dr Jayant Athvale said in an article in the organisation’s mouthpiece, Sanatan Prabhat: “It’s God’s grace to die in a manner in which Dabholkar died. It [instant death] is better than dying of a prolonged illness or suffering from pain induced by surgical procedures."
Dabholkar was shot dead by two unidentified assailants while he was out on a morning walk in Pune on Tuesday.
Conceding that Dabholkar did "commendable" work, Vartak said, "We had differences with his ideology, not with him as an individual."
"Dabholkar was against our belief that god is all pervasive and that only His will reigns supreme," he said.
Reacting to media reports, Vartak said, "We never said that we will do another Gandhi (kill Dabholkar like Godse did the Mahatma)."
Appealing to media and people "not to make Sanatan a scapegoat," Vartak said, "tomorrow anyone will come and place a bomb in order to trap us."
"We work in a spiritual field. It was an ideological struggle (with Dabholkar). We did not have any personal enmity with him," Vartak said.
A Sanatan functionary present at the media briefing alleged that Dabholkar`s Andrashradda Nirmulan Samiti got foreign donations.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets