Dalit woman case: 5 arrested; sent to custody
Mumbai: Five persons, including three
women, arrested in connection with the attack on a Dalit woman
by members belonging to upper caste in Satara district and
have been remanded to police custody till Saturday.
"The attack was a result of a domestic quarrel, as the
woman`s son had eloped with a girl belonging the family of the
upper caste. The woman was not stripped and paraded naked. Her
son and the girl are still at large," Additional Chief
Secretary (Home) UC Sarangi said.
Investigation into the incident was going on at the
level of Deputy Superintendent of police, Sarangi said adding
that there was no social tension in the village of Mulgaon,
where the incident took place on Monday.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, who hails from
Satara district, yesterday said that a case had been filed
under the Atrocities Act and he was monitoring the
Minister of State for Social Justice Sachin Ahir said
the government has given compensation of Rs 75,000 to the
victim and the department has sought a report on the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH