Dalit woman case: 5 arrested; sent to custody
Mumbai: Five persons, including three
women, arrested in connection with the attack on a Dalit woman
by members belonging to upper caste in Satara district and
have been remanded to police custody till Saturday.
"The attack was a result of a domestic quarrel, as the
woman`s son had eloped with a girl belonging the family of the
upper caste. The woman was not stripped and paraded naked. Her
son and the girl are still at large," Additional Chief
Secretary (Home) UC Sarangi said.
Investigation into the incident was going on at the
level of Deputy Superintendent of police, Sarangi said adding
that there was no social tension in the village of Mulgaon,
where the incident took place on Monday.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, who hails from
Satara district, yesterday said that a case had been filed
under the Atrocities Act and he was monitoring the
Minister of State for Social Justice Sachin Ahir said
the government has given compensation of Rs 75,000 to the
victim and the department has sought a report on the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad