Data lost in fire can be retrieved: Cyber expert
Nagpur: In a ray of hope for the Maharashtra secretariat where a large number of computers were damaged in fire, the data from the damaged hard disks can be retrieved through Magnetic Ferrous Microscope (MFM), a cyber forensic expert has claimed.
Even if the hard disk is submerged in water, the data can still be recovered. The hard disk should be carefully picked up from the spot, properly packaged into anti-static bags and then forensically examined, the chief executive officer of Intelligent Quotient Security System, Dr Harold D`Costa told a news agency.
If the Maharashtra Secretariat had established a disaster recovery plan, all the data lost could have been stored on secondary and parallel devices. This would have saved critical data, even if the hard disk were totally burnt, D`Costa, who is a trainer and senior consultant for Maharashtra and Goa government in cyber crime, said.
The Secretariat should have initiated steps to avoid such type of disaster by establishing a cold site wherein the data stored in the main server could be stored at another end in real time, may be 100 kms away or in other city.
If the cold site is placed at far off place, the data is still intact at the other location, the expert, who has worked on over 2,000 cases of cyber crime, said.
The government should set up an Incident Response Team to develop risk assessment plan and contingency steps for fast recovery of the data, besides setting up a fire proof system and a strong lock room where critical servers are placed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India