Dawood played key role in Mumbai violence?
Mumbai: Reports said on Friday that underworld don Dawood Ibrahim`s gang is suspected to have played a key role in the August 11 violence at Azad Maidan in Mumbai.
Information in this has regard has been provided to the Maharashtra government`s Home department by the Intelligence Bureau, a leading daily reported today.
Sources said the IB had intercepted international telephonic conversations based on which it arrived at the conclusion regarding Dawood’s involvement in the Mumbai violence.
Among the inputs provided to Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil by the IB include how the violence was planned and executed.
It may be recalled that state Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had hinted just a day after the violence that the plot could have been hatched abroad. Telephonic intercepts only lend credence to this suspicion, sources said.
IB is believed to have identified the telephone numbers and voices as those of known underworld members.
The international telephone calls originated from two Pakistani cities. They were made to some mobile phones in Mumbai. The conversations took place over two days on August 10 and 11.
IB officials suspect underworld gang members were briefed on how to infiltrate the protest, how to trigger the violence and who all were to be targeted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city