Daya Nayak cleared in graft case; hopes to join police Dept
Mumbai: A day after he was cleared in a
disproportionate assets case, suspended `encounter specialist`
Daya Nayak expressed hope that he would be reinstated in the
"I am ready to bounce back now. I hope the government
reinstates me in the police department so that I can start my
new life," the suspended police-sub-inspector said on Saturday.
The Anti Corruption Bureau (ACB) of the city police,
which probed the charges against Nayak had filed a report
before sessions court here yesterday stating that there was no
evidence in the case registered against him four years ago.
However, the 41-year-old inspector was a little
disappointed about the entire episode.
"I always believed in myself. The false charges did not
disturb me much but I was feeling a bit sad as I had to waste
my four years due to baseless allegations," he said.
The ACB had in January 2006 registered a case against
Nayak for allegedly amassing wealth disproportionate to known
source of his income. According to the agency, Nayak had
acquired `benami` properties to the tune of Rs 60 lakh in his
and his wife`s name.
Nayak, who is credited with over 80 encounters, was
arrested in February 2006 and was released on bail after two
months. He was later suspended from service. In November 2007,
ACB sought sanction from the Director General of Police (DGP)
to prosecute Nayak in the case.
However, the DGP refused to grant sanction after
observing that there is no evidence against the encounter
specialist. Following this, ACB filed a report yesterday
clearing him off such charges.
"This proves that I have not done anything wrong," said
"My wife also had to face problems because of these
charges. There were also allegations that I had property in
abroad. But the fact is that I do not even have a passport
then the question of buying a property in abroad does not
arise," said the inspector, who was serving at Charkop police
Nayak had also faced charges under stringent Maharashtra
Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) after a former
journalist filed a petition alleging that underworld
gangster Chhota Shakeel had given the cop money to transfer
However, the Supreme Court had granted him reprieve in
the case after observing that his links with the underworld
could not be established.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon