`Dead` man walking, ‘guarding` and also getting salary
Mumbai: Allauddin Sheikh, a security
guard with the local civic body, reports to work regularly and
draws salary every month. Nothing strange, except that the 52-
year-old was declared "dead" by civic authorities last year.
"In May this year I learnt through my colleague that I
had been declared dead in BMC`s records by one of our clerks
on October 27, 2009. I have been reporting to work daily and
also get my salary on time," Sheikh said.
Sheikh is making endless rounds of the civic body and
meeting officials to ensure the error is rectified at the
"I`m thankful to God that at least my wife, who is
suffering from high blood pressure, was not informed about it.
But this is ridiculous. How they can declare me dead and on
what basis?" he asked in a complaining voice.
Sheikh joined Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC)
in 1981 and has six years left for retirement. He is currently
posted at the G-south ward office.
The clerical error brought trouble for Sheikh, who had
taken a Rs 1.25-lakh loan from Municipal Corporation Bank for
his daughter`s wedding in 2006.
"Since then I have been paying an instalment of about
Rs 3,000 per month. A sum of Rs 35,000 was yet to be paid.
When bank officials learnt about my `death`, they deducted the
pending amount from my account without my knowledge," Sheikh
said. Joint Security Officer of BMC S V Kulkarni said, "We
admit that our staff committed a mistake and we are rectifying
it. It happened mistakenly. Sheikh was irregular on duty and
this might be one of the reasons why the clerk may have marked
him as dead."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion