Death toll in Nagpur building collapse mounts to 8
Nagpur: With five more bodies being removed from under the debris of a four-storey building that collapsed here on Monday, the death toll in the incident has
risen to eight, police said on Thursday.
The structure, housing a smallscale cold storage unit, caved in on the night of January 30 in Chikhali layout in Wardhman Nagar.
Out of the five bodies extricated from under the massive rubble last night, one was identified to be that of Pawan Badriprasad Kedia, police said, adding identity of the
four others was still being established.
Earlier, bodies of two labourers were removed from the site of the incident on Tuesday while that of another worker was retrieved yesterday, police said.
The bodies were removed by the jawans of 118 Infantry Battalion of Territorial Army (TA) under supervision of Col VV Dineshan.
Besides TA, personnel from the city-based National Civil Defence College and National Fire Service College and a rescue team from the Western Coalfields have been pressed into service for rescue operations.
Nagpur district Guardian Minister Shivajirao Moghe accompanied by Divisional Commissioner Gopal Reddy, Municipal Commissioner Sanjeev Jaiswal, District
Collector Saurabh Rao and Commissioner of Police, Ankush Dhanvijay today consoled the members of the bereaved families.
Meanwhile, owner of the building Pramod Khandelwal, who is facing charges of the culpable homicide for sub-standard material used to construct the structure, was
yesterday remanded in police custody till February 4 by a local court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi