Decision on Env Ministry`s Adarsh order soon: Maha
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government would soon take a decision on the Union Environment Ministry`s recommendation to demolish the 31-storey scam-tainted Adrash Housing Society building here.
"We will read the order issued by the Environment Ministry over the Adarsh society and decide what is to be done," State Environment Minister Sanjay Devtale said on Sunday.
The Union Ministry has held that the building in upmarket Colaba was "unauthorised" and violated the spirit of coastal regulations. It gave the recommendation today after hearing the society members earlier.
The State government has not yet received the recommendation, but a decision on it would be taken soon, Devtale said.
Opposition leaders and social activists welcomed the decision and demanded its immediate implementation.
"The Environment Ministry itself has declared the building illegal and it has to be demolished. The bureaucrats involved in the scam should also be punished because the entire issue has brought shame to the State," Leader of Opposition in Assembly and BJP member Eknath Khadse said.
Echoing Khadse, Shiv Sena MP Bharatkumar Raut said the Ministry has taken a right decision and it should be implemented.
Social activist Simprit Singh said, "We were raising the same issue since 2007, but the State Government ignored us. But after media pressure and public support, the Environment Ministry has taken a right decision."
Flats in the building were doled out to politicians, top defence officers and bureaucrats as well as their kin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened