Declare disputed Karnataka areas UT: Chavan
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok
Chavan on Tuesday demanded the Centre to make 865 Marathi-speaking
villages of Karnataka an Union Territory till the Supreme
Court settles the border dispute between the two states.
"The 865 Marathi-speaking villages in Karnataka should be
declared as an Union Territory until the issue is settled in
the Supreme Court," Chavan told the Legislative Council during
a discussion on the Maharashtra-Karnataka border row.
Chavan, who would meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
tomorrow in Delhi with an all-party delegation would make the
request to him.
"There is no option other than making the villages an
Union Territory and we would request the prime minister to
cooperate with us on the issue," Chavan said.
Defending his demand for the Union Territory, Chavan said
the Karnataka Government is changing the names of the villages
and there is a threat to the law and order situation in the
region and biased treatment are being meted out to Marathi
Chavan asked the Opposition BJP to intervene into the
matter as the party is ruling in Karnataka.
"There is no question of backing from the Supreme Court,
but your (BJP) Government is ruling there (Karnataka) and I am
ready if the issue can be sorted out with consensus," Chavan
The Centre, in reply to Maharashtra`s claim over
Karnataka`s Marathi-speaking districts like Gulbarga and
Belgaum, had told the Supreme Court last week that language
can`t be the only criteria for deciding state boundaries.
However, the Centre`s stance has led to a flurry of
protests in Maharashtra as well as border areas of Karnataka,
following which the Supreme Court yesterday allowed the
Maharashtra government to file an amended application to
challenge the validity of the State Re-organisation Act.
Rejecting the recommendations of the Mahajan Commission,
which was constituted by the Centre on 1966 to settle the
long-pending border dispute, Chavan said it recommended
inclusion of only 265 villages in Maharashtra while the state
is demanding 865.
The government has not accepted the report and
information has been submitted to the Supreme Court on this,
PWP leader Jayant Patil moved an adjournment motion in
the Council demanding discussion on the border row. He alleged
that Congress is doing injustice with Maharashtra since the
state`s creation in 1960.
Shiv Sena leader Diwakar Raote said the affidavit on the
Maharashtra-Karnataka border issue filed by the Centre in the
apex court is not in favour of Maharashtra.
He also condemned the lathicharge by Karnataka Police
yesterday on Marathi-speaking people in Belgaum, who were
protesting the Centre`s affidavit in the Supreme Court on the
Belgaum border row.
The Maharashtra-Karnataka border issue also figured in
the Legislative Assembly leading to two adjournments of the
NCP MLA Jitendra Avhad condemned the lathicharge by
Karnataka Police on Marathi-speaking people in Belgaum. The
ruling party members trooped into the well, condemning the
Leader of Opposition in the Assembly, Eknath Khadse (BJP)
demanded that along with Karnataka Government, the Centre`s
stand should also be condemned.
The House was adjourned for 10 minutes to express
solidarity with Marathi people in Karnataka.
Later, the Opposition members also got into the well,
raising banners and shouting slogans against the Centre and
demanding inclusion of Marathi-speaking Karnataka villages in
Maharashtra. The House was adjourned for 20 minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly