Declare Marathwada, west Vidarbha drought-hit: BJP
Mumbai: The Maharashtra unit of BJP on Friday demanded that the state government should declare Marathwada and western Vidarbha regions in the state as drought affected due to scanty rains there this season.
Addressing a gathering of farmers at Latur in Marathwada region, BJP state unit president Devendra Fadnavis said, "Almost 75 per cent of Marathwada region has received less than 25 per cent of the average rainfall this season. Even the western Vidarbha region is in a dismal state in the absence of rains."
"This dry spell has played havoc in the lives of farmers in this region. The government should declare both these regions as drought-hit and provide assistance to the farmers," he said.
The ruling Congress-NCP government has been seeking votes under the name of development, he said adding,"However, in the 15 years of their, there was no progress in the agriculture sector. Due to corruption, irrigation schemes could not complete and lack of water for farming left the farmers devastated."
He added that there is a irrigation backlog of 5.5 lakh hectares in Marathwada region. "However, people in the region do not get the money that they should get for development. The situation of Marathwada region has deteriorated in the present government`s rule," he said.
Fadnavis claimed that the number of farmers who committed suicide in Maharashtra is more than the total number of jawans killed while protecting the borders of India and people who have been victims of terrorist attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends