Defence Ministry claims ownership of Adarsh land
Mumbai: Ministry of Defence (MoD) on Friday approached the Bombay High Court seeking claim on the land on which the scam-hit Adarsh Housing Society building stands in upscale south Mumbai.
The Ministry filed a title suit in the HC stating that the land in Colaba, where the 31-storey flat complex has been constructed, belongs to them, and sought its possession.
The MoD move comes eight months after a Maharashtra Government-appointed judicial panel concluded that the land belonged to State Government and was not reserved for Kargil war widows or their families as claimed in some quarters.
The two-member inquiry panel had submitted its report to the Maharashtra Government in April this year.
On May 28, the Ministry issued notices to the State and Adarsh society, asking them to acknowledge MoD`s ownership of the plot and hand over its possession within two months failing which it would file a civil suit in a competent court.
The Ministry, in the suit, has alleged that the residential complex, which has over 100 flats - some of them owned by retired defence officers - has been constructed "illegally and unlawfully".
It further said the MoD is the sole owner of the land, which was transferred to Adarsh Housing Society by "fraud, collusion and connivance on the part of the society members, Ministers and bureaucrats of the State Government".
The suit is likely to come up for hearing in due course of time.
Earlier, the Ministry had filed a petition in the HC seeking implementation of the January 2011 order of demolition passed by the Union Ministry of Environment and Forest against Adarsh. The MoD had claimed the building was a security threat to the defence establishments located in its vicinity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown