Defying SC order, will Maharashtra govt ban dance bars?
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: In spite of the Supreme Court`s order of reopening dance bars here, the Maharashtra government seems to be firm on putting a blanket ban on them.
Home Minister RR Patil on Monday indicated that the government is mulling withdrawal of dance performance license from star hotels to remove any disparity.
Replying to a query by MNS legislator Bala Nandgaonkar in the House, Patil said that if needed, the dance bar licenses issued to the star hotels (3 or 5 star hotels) will be withdrawn.
"The state government will take a decision in two days on the verdict of Supreme Court that upheld the Bombay High Court`s decision to quash the ban on dance bars," Patil said.
Nandgaonkar and senior PWP legislator Ganpatrao Deshmukh wanted to know the steps being taken by the state government on the Supreme Court ruling on dance bars.
"We have sought legal opinion from experts in Delhi and Mumbai. The state government is of the view that the ban on dance bars should continue," the Home Minister said.
The government has formed a committee of experts to decide further course of action, he said.
The apex court had last week lifted the ban on dance bars quashing the law approved by the state legislature.
"Within the next two days, the government will inform the House about its stand on the steps being taken on the Supreme Court ruling," Patil said.
With PTI inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know