Democracy ‘subverted` in Modi-ruled Gujarat: PUCL
Mumbai: Coming down heavily on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, a rights group on Friday said Parliamentary democracy has been "subverted" in the BJP-ruled state under his leadership.
"It is made out that the Government in Gujarat is functioning smoothly, but in reality there is a subversion of Parliamentary democracy in the state," said Gautam Thaker, General Secretary, People’s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL).
Modi considers himself "invincible" and above legislature, he said at a press conference here.
On the occasion, the PUCL announced it was organizing a convention in Ahmedabad on February 26 on the eve of 10th anniversary of 2002 Gujarat train carnage.
A separate programme will be organised by NGO Citizen for Justice and Peace in Ahmedabad on February 27-28 to mark the 10th anniversary of the post-Godhra riots.
Modi used the Government money during his three-day Sadbhavna mission fast in September last year, said Prakash Shah, a journalist who also spoke at the conference.
"National Human Rights Commission recommendations are not implemented in Gujarat. Even CAG reports are not tabled in the Legislative Assembly," said Thaker.
Speaking at another press meet, Hosbet Suresh, a retired Bombay High Court Judge, alleged the 2002 riots were organised in a systematic manner.
Justice Suresh was one of the members of a citizen’s tribunal which visited Gujarat after the large-scale communal violence in which over 1,000 people were killed.
"In the last 10-15 years certain political groups have used India`s pluralism to create divisions in the society," said Father Mascarenhas, Principal of St Xavier`s College.
"Violence perpetrated against minority groups in Gujarat has caused huge divisions in the society."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing