Democracy ‘subverted` in Modi-ruled Gujarat: PUCL
Mumbai: Coming down heavily on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, a rights group on Friday said Parliamentary democracy has been "subverted" in the BJP-ruled state under his leadership.
"It is made out that the Government in Gujarat is functioning smoothly, but in reality there is a subversion of Parliamentary democracy in the state," said Gautam Thaker, General Secretary, People’s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL).
Modi considers himself "invincible" and above legislature, he said at a press conference here.
On the occasion, the PUCL announced it was organizing a convention in Ahmedabad on February 26 on the eve of 10th anniversary of 2002 Gujarat train carnage.
A separate programme will be organised by NGO Citizen for Justice and Peace in Ahmedabad on February 27-28 to mark the 10th anniversary of the post-Godhra riots.
Modi used the Government money during his three-day Sadbhavna mission fast in September last year, said Prakash Shah, a journalist who also spoke at the conference.
"National Human Rights Commission recommendations are not implemented in Gujarat. Even CAG reports are not tabled in the Legislative Assembly," said Thaker.
Speaking at another press meet, Hosbet Suresh, a retired Bombay High Court Judge, alleged the 2002 riots were organised in a systematic manner.
Justice Suresh was one of the members of a citizen’s tribunal which visited Gujarat after the large-scale communal violence in which over 1,000 people were killed.
"In the last 10-15 years certain political groups have used India`s pluralism to create divisions in the society," said Father Mascarenhas, Principal of St Xavier`s College.
"Violence perpetrated against minority groups in Gujarat has caused huge divisions in the society."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened