Democracy ‘subverted` in Modi-ruled Gujarat: PUCL
Mumbai: Coming down heavily on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, a rights group on Friday said Parliamentary democracy has been "subverted" in the BJP-ruled state under his leadership.
"It is made out that the Government in Gujarat is functioning smoothly, but in reality there is a subversion of Parliamentary democracy in the state," said Gautam Thaker, General Secretary, People’s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL).
Modi considers himself "invincible" and above legislature, he said at a press conference here.
On the occasion, the PUCL announced it was organizing a convention in Ahmedabad on February 26 on the eve of 10th anniversary of 2002 Gujarat train carnage.
A separate programme will be organised by NGO Citizen for Justice and Peace in Ahmedabad on February 27-28 to mark the 10th anniversary of the post-Godhra riots.
Modi used the Government money during his three-day Sadbhavna mission fast in September last year, said Prakash Shah, a journalist who also spoke at the conference.
"National Human Rights Commission recommendations are not implemented in Gujarat. Even CAG reports are not tabled in the Legislative Assembly," said Thaker.
Speaking at another press meet, Hosbet Suresh, a retired Bombay High Court Judge, alleged the 2002 riots were organised in a systematic manner.
Justice Suresh was one of the members of a citizen’s tribunal which visited Gujarat after the large-scale communal violence in which over 1,000 people were killed.
"In the last 10-15 years certain political groups have used India`s pluralism to create divisions in the society," said Father Mascarenhas, Principal of St Xavier`s College.
"Violence perpetrated against minority groups in Gujarat has caused huge divisions in the society."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!