Demolition of 26/11 martyrs’ memorial sends wrong message to society: Kavita Karkare
Mumbai: In an act of sheer disrespect, a memorial erected in memory of Hemant Karkare and Vijay Salaskar—the senior police officers killed during the 26/11 terror attacks—was allegedly demolished by a builder on Thursday during redevelopment work in Malad district here, reports said.
Following this incident, over a dozen MNS workers on Friday held protests against the builders involved in the act.
Reacting sharply to the incident, one of the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) workers said, “The builder has insulted the martyrs of 26/11 Mumbai attacks and we will not accept such an act.”
In an exclusive byte given to Zee News, Kavita Karkare, wife of slain Maharashtra ATS chief Hemant Karkare expressed her anguish at the insensitive act of the builder.
“The entire incident will send a wrong message out to the society. The statues should not have been demolished. It is hurtful,” said Kavita Karkare.
According to reports, the memorial was built in 2008 by Ajitrao Rane, a local Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) councillor, outside the entrance of Santosh Society, which is now being redeveloped by LK Builders. Maharashtra Navnirman Sena workers alleged that Rane had allowed the builder to demolish the memorial.
However, while refuting the allegations the builder said that the statues had been put up by the NCP corporators three-years-back with a clause that it could be removed if redevelopment work was carried out in the area.
“We have not demolished the statues but have removed it for the time being and will put it back with full respect after the redevelopment work of the society is over,” builder Latesh Garha said.
Inspite of heavy protest by MNS workers and locals, police and BMC are yet to take any action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM