Deora demands white paper on power tariffs in Maharashtra
Mumbai: Union Minister of State for Shipping Milind Deora on Sunday demanded a "white paper" on power tariffs in Maharashtra to study how subsidies are provided.
"I feel that there has to be a white paper before discussing reduction of power tariffs in the state as it will help in understanding how subsidies are given," Deora, the Congress MP from Mumbai South, told reporters at a function here.
Demanding the need for a scrutiny of subsidies provided, he said, "Subsidy means that the money will be diverted from one pocket to other. The white paper on power tariff will help to understand this mechanism."
Two other Congress MPs from Mumbai, Sanjay Nirupam and Priya Dutt, had already demanded cut in power tariffs, and even led a protest march at the office of Reliance Energy, which supplies electricity to Mumbai suburbs, a week ago.
Deora said he supported the demand in-principle. Following Delhi government`s decision to cut power tariff by 50 per cent, Congress leaders in Maharashtra have been making similar demand.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had said the state government had appointed a committee led by Industries Minister Narayan Rane to look into the matter. The committee has recommended 10 to 20 per cent cut in power tariffs, but the state cabinet is yet to take a decision regarding the recommendation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections