Deshmukh admits bending Adarsh norms
Mumbai: Union Rural Development Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh has, in an affidavit, admitted to bending rules in the Adarsh housing society for two ex-Army chiefs, General NC Vij and General Deepak Kapoor.
The former Maharashtra CM disclosed in the 15-page affidavit filed before the two-member inquiry panel that he relaxed rules to enable the two generals to get membership of the society and qualified them for a flat.
"I approved the proposal to relax the domicile norms/conditions in case of Generals Vij and General Kapoor. This decision was fully justified and fitting, considering their eminence and their distinguished service to the nation," Deshmukh said.
However, Deshmukh acknowledged that he did not entertain any other request for flat membership in the Adarsh complex.
Earlier, Deshmukh had said his role was peripheral as far as housing allotments were concerned.
On the Adarsh society land, Deshmukh told the commission, “The records maintained with the office of the Collector of Mumbai clearly show that the land belonged to the state government and the ownership of the land was never an issue at any stage so far as I am concerned".
He further refuted charges that Maharashtra’s revenue department was ordered to put up a proposal for land allotment to Adarsh society at the insistence of the then Shiv Sena MLC Kanaihyalal Gidwani.
"The suggestion that I ordered the allotment of land to Adarsh in an irregular and/ or improper manner to favour Gidwani is fully mischievous," he said.
The two-member inquiry panel, set up to probe irregularities in Adarsh housing society, is headed by retired Bombay High Court Judge JA Patil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!