Deshmukh admits bending Adarsh norms
Mumbai: Union Rural Development Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh has, in an affidavit, admitted to bending rules in the Adarsh housing society for two ex-Army chiefs, General NC Vij and General Deepak Kapoor.
The former Maharashtra CM disclosed in the 15-page affidavit filed before the two-member inquiry panel that he relaxed rules to enable the two generals to get membership of the society and qualified them for a flat.
"I approved the proposal to relax the domicile norms/conditions in case of Generals Vij and General Kapoor. This decision was fully justified and fitting, considering their eminence and their distinguished service to the nation," Deshmukh said.
However, Deshmukh acknowledged that he did not entertain any other request for flat membership in the Adarsh complex.
Earlier, Deshmukh had said his role was peripheral as far as housing allotments were concerned.
On the Adarsh society land, Deshmukh told the commission, “The records maintained with the office of the Collector of Mumbai clearly show that the land belonged to the state government and the ownership of the land was never an issue at any stage so far as I am concerned".
He further refuted charges that Maharashtra’s revenue department was ordered to put up a proposal for land allotment to Adarsh society at the insistence of the then Shiv Sena MLC Kanaihyalal Gidwani.
"The suggestion that I ordered the allotment of land to Adarsh in an irregular and/ or improper manner to favour Gidwani is fully mischievous," he said.
The two-member inquiry panel, set up to probe irregularities in Adarsh housing society, is headed by retired Bombay High Court Judge JA Patil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug