Deshmukh asks industries to give better land deals to farmers
New Delhi: Concerned about the unrest over land acquisition, Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh today asked the industry to adequately compensate the displaced farmers.
"I personally feel that if you acquire a land it should be properly compensated as land is the main source of farmers` bread and butter," Deshmukh said at the National Manufacturing Summit, organised by the Indian Chamber of Commerce here.
He said, Parliament is likely to take up amendments to the land acquisition laws in the Budget session.
With farmers and political parties agitating over land acquisition in different parts of the country, acquiring land for new investments has become a challenge for industries.
Investment plans of many companies, including the Tatas, Reliance Industries, Posco and ArcelorMittal, have been affected by land acquisition problems.
The new policies are aimed at giving a fair compensation, which will be determined by the market price, to the farmers instead of the government deciding the package.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?